Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mothers, microbes, and muffintops!

What a busy week! Between Mother's Day, baking, and my full time job the amount of sleep I got from Friday to Sunday was very minimal. 
For Mother's Day I wanted to send a sweet treat to all the motherly females in my life and I wanted to test the fragileness of the US post office. So I made Mother's Day sugar cookies inspired by none other than sweet Sugarbelle, of course! So I finally have my recipie down and I add a bit of citrus zest to put my own flair into them. 
You can see the specks of zest in the cookies! I think it makes them pretty even before the frosting! Speaking of frosting I have been doing it alllll wrong! I finally started using color flow instead of another recipie I was using and I think it turned out a lot better! 
Cookies with the base frosting on them
Once the frosting dried I added all the moms, aunts, grandma, and mom to be labels. Mind you from here I hand painted each label with gold food coloring. I guess I could have just colored my frosting gold but I like the way it turned out painting them. 
I added the flowers and edges on some of them. It was very time consuming but well worth the outcome. Everyone who saw them said they were too pretty to eat!
My favorite one! I painted the cookie gold with food coloring instead of the label and added the white border! This special one went to a VERY special mom (besides my mom). 

So for the women that live far away I made boxes and shipped them off! It was  a perfect small treat! And none of them broke! 
A pic from my cousin Sara once they made it to California in one piece! I'll be sending a lot more cookie grams! 

Here are some other cakes I made for Mother's Day!
Chocolate cake with roses!
Yellow rose cake pops
Mom lounging by the beach! 
Flower and strawberry bouquet! 

All the goods were loved by all the moms!

For my mom we made her brunch! Since my sister is trying to stay away from sugar I made a sugar free dessert with fruit that came out AMAZING! It was a watermelon cut to look like a cake iced with coconut whip cream and decorated with fruit! The whip cream was my favorite and the whole family said they preferred it over regular whip! 
Top view of the watermelon cake
After it was cut! 
Our Mother's Day spread! So yummy and Mom was very happy! 

The last project for this weekend was a graduation cake for my best friend who is graduating with her Masters degree from UofA! So proud of her! I made a cake of microbes and a surprise Gnome on the back because they are her favorite! 
Little graduating microbes! 
Surprise gnome! So cute! 

What a weekend! I pretty much crashed after everything was done on Sunday night! But I'm glad I got to make all those things for all the special moms out there!

Happy Mother's Day ladies! 

Sincerely,
Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment